Goings on


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



An update or two, and a story. I know it's been a while since I've posted a baby update, and that's mainly as I did not want to flood you with baby-related tales as that's more than likely all that I'll be posting about when she's born. But just to let you know, she's due officially on Monday, but may arrive at any stage. It has been a frustrating few weeks as we both long to hold her, but as a good friend reminded me, she's "entering the world like so many good piano concertos -- long and slow." You'll all know as soon as I do! In other happenings, Jason is running another short fiction competition (here are the rules if you still want to enter). I've mailed my entry and will update this post as soon as he lists it, but I thought you may find it interesting to read the first draft, which was way over the word limitation, and compare it with the final version. I'd be interested in your feedback. **UPDATE** Here's the link to the story - Heads or Tales ********************** Heads or Tales It began, as these things often do, with the toss of a coin. Which led to the flow of drink. Which would normally be the scapegoat for a story like this, but in truth, the coin really is to blame. Not just any coin however, but a silver dollar that hung for what seemed an age at it's arc, and lit by the lanterned streets glistened as big as the moon in a moonless sky. Still, at some point all things revert to their true nature, and so the silver dollar tumbled back into the palm of it's owner. Strangely delicate fingers closed over it, a flick of the wrist, and an etched face leered up from the back of his left hand. "Heads." It should be impossible to guess as to the decision just made, but the lilting voice and roguish appearance suggested tomfoolery was the essence of it. Two hours later, Hellion Winters stood in the alley behind the hotel bar, pleasantly warmed by three recently consumed brandies, none of which seemed to take the edge off. A few paces away, the barrel of a gun was supported in midair by the arm of an anonymous man. Anonymous purely because his name has no relevance to this tale, only that his ears still rang with the laughter of his fellow dipsomaniacs, his embarrassment still flushed pale cheeks. He'd feel much improved as soon as he lodged a bullet in the forehead of this trickster. Trigger clicked, physics and chemistry performed their roles with aplomb, yet the satisfying trickle of blood he was hoping for was somehow, disastrously, missing. It never got old, that look of utter confusion. Hellion stepped over the crumpled figure with it's head at an impossible angle, and felt a slight tingle as his body broke down and absorbed the lead embedded in his skull. He really should remember that humans had not had 7000 years to formulate a sense of humour. If they'd told him that after millennia, immortality was only useful for the occasional cheap thrill, he may not have been so eager. He drew his coat tighter around him, whilst in its pocket, two silver faces broke into grins.


4 Responses to “Goings on”

  1. Anonymous Beelzebabe 

    A baby?!?! oh my, I've been gone too long...CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

    I like the new look here too.

  2. Anonymous moonflake 

    its. No apostrophe.

    Otherwise, nice :)

  3. Anonymous Nome 

    I feel like I didn't get it, but maybe I need to read it again. And maybe I am just not clever enough...

    I anxiously await the arrival of your musical little daughter.

  4. Anonymous Carl V. 

    I am sooooo excited for you both. I can't wait to see pictures of her both after she is born and as she grows. We expect you to be a proud, picture-posting/storytelling daddy and will enjoy watching you grow into the lifelong role of fatherhood! Congrats to you both and I pray for a smooth delivery!

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm forgottenmachine
  • From Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Blogs


ATOM 0.3


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs2.5 License.