E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



My right foot is itching. On the underside, in the middle of the arch. I try to stick my finger down the side, but my glove is too thick and the gap between sock and shoe too narrow. I rub my foot against the grass, hoping that the sole of my shoe will press against it and provide me with a measure of relief, but it does nothing. It has been itching for a while, but thus far I have been able to ignore it. Not anymore; it is now the only thing I can think about. My existence revolves around the alleviation of this affliction. Perhaps if I try distraction, convince myself that the itch is insignificant......so I think about her. Her slight build, her diaphanous skin, that delicate smell that lingers all around her. And still, this itch pierces through everything, makes me want to peel away every layer of skin until there is only sinew and bone. The flesh is weak and sickly; it succumbs so easily to infirmity, to misery.
I reach for a nearby twig and snap it with both hands. The sound is pleasing, it quells for a moment my growing distress. I am briefly struck by the absurdity of my situation; surely I can just untie my shoe and be released from this ordeal? But that would signal defeat, and defeat is for the weak. I am not weak.
So I slide the broken twig into my shoe, and after a few slight adjustments I can feel the roughness of the stick against my skin. I jiggle it back and forth, lost to the wave of deliverance that washes over me.
No longer fettered, I continue dragging the body toward the lagoon. I carefully slip it into the water, pausing only to watch a nimbus of dark hair snake toward the surface.
She is too fragile for this world, and there are those with impure, violent thoughts who would only seek to damage her. I have saved her from that fate, I have set her free.
I wait for the water to fill her lungs, wait to watch it claim her. Then, with the stars echoed in the lights of the houses on the shore, I turn and make my way back to the trees.
The more I stay in here The more it's not so clear The more I stay in here The more I disappear As far as I have gone I knew what side I'm on But now I'm not so sure The line begins to blur
As I lie here and stare the fabric starts to tear It's far beyond repair And I don't really care As far as I have gone I knew what side I'm on But now I'm not so sure The line begins to blur **************************************** This in this morning's paper. Lyrics from The Line Begins to Blur - NIN


5 Responses to “”

  1. Blogger Luke 

    Leaving aside the events in Knysna.
    This is exquisite. It reminded me of the Nick Cave song for a minute.

  2. Blogger Kelly 

    Truly, Oh My God - this story had a visceral impact on me. And THEN I read the news report. Amazing. Very nicely done, FM.

  3. Blogger jason evans 

    That was disturbing.

    I like it.

  4. Blogger Fence 

    You're creepy.

  5. Blogger LiVEwiRe 

    I like you dark. It comes across initially as an innocent darkness. Highly appealing; excellent writing.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm forgottenmachine
  • From Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Blogs


ATOM 0.3


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs2.5 License.