No swearing or cussing


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



So I was thinking that since FM very kindly allowed me the use of his page, I should at least post something, otherwise I’m just being rude. There are a lot of his regular readers who are far better at this collaborative thing than I am, methinks but what the ... (no, I promised I wouldn’t desecrate these hallowed halls with swear words and graffiti). I have read several posts this week relating to the 15 minute challenge – all of them inspired by those wonderful photos, truly excellent. I tried to post a comment on Carpy’s blog ‘just now’ but somehow it wasn’t having any of that. For some reason though, I have a mental block with those photographs – even though they are awesome, the images evoke memories of things in my past that I had thought were forgotten and the feelings swelling up are complicated and sit uneasy with me. One photograph, specifically ("earthcoat”), reminded me of a time long ago, when I was just a chillun and the likes of traveling minstrels, tinkers, gypsies, rag-and-bone men et al, were the norm – that time is long gone now. As children, we were often “accosted” by a hobo/tramp on our way to school (we had to walk through a small wood) and his shabby herringbone coat was constantly covered in detritus, leaves and twigs, he smelt very bad. To us, he was the epitome of the evil “Bogeyman” and he frightened us mightily. He spoke in a very old, archaic English and was a gypsy and slowly, as we grew older and more wordly wise, we grew less afraid of him. Also because of "conker" season and the fact that he knew secrets about how to make your conker really strong, we grew brave enough to speak to him every day. We would leave our prize conkers with him in the morning and collect them in the afternoon, after he had soaked them in his potions (probably vinegar) to make them very hard, thereby guaranteeing that we could smash any opponents conker with ease. He taught us how to play marbles properly and introduced us to rudimentary cricket. He also made beautiful painted spinning tops out of wood. Children don’t play with spinning tops anymore. Children don’t play hopscotch until the sun goes down in the street, or roast chestnuts over a broken down brazier in the middle of a forest with a strange raggedy man. Times have changed and sometimes, I don’t think they have changed for the better.


6 Responses to “No swearing or cussing”

  1. Blogger Carl V. 

    "Times have changed and sometimes, I don’t think they have changed for the better", boy ain't that the truth! I sometimes wish we could take the best of modern conveniences (couldn't live without air conditioning!) and marry them with some of the better things from our past...better morals, more commitment to family and honor, less need for instant gratification, a greater enjoyment for the simple pleasures.

    The best we can really do is live that way ourselves and try to encourage those around us by our example.

  2. Blogger mysfit 

    the collaborative thing comes with time - trust me

    as for the challenge - you seem to have done a mighty fine job of it - however, i wish you posted a link to the pic; so i did it for you.

  3. Blogger Luke 

    Hey mysfit ... how's it going?!
    Actually this wasn't in any way an attempt at the Challenge. But I will have a go at the next one that is issued, I hope.

  4. Blogger Carl V. 

    I've got to pull out my Robert ParkeHarrison book and look through it again...its so wonderful!

  5. Blogger christina 

    Hello, Michele sent me!

  6. Blogger banzai cat 

    yeah, his pictures do that to the viewer, no?

    funny enough, I didn't realize your post was about the challenge until mysfit mentioned it. the first time I've seen a non-fic piece to given with-- well done indeed.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm forgottenmachine
  • From Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Blogs


ATOM 0.3


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs2.5 License.