"I just kind of conjured them up out of my subconscious and put them in order of ascending peculiarity."


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I'm not quite sure why, but this morning Edward Gorey has been traipsing around my head. To what devious ends I do not know. So, as I'm feeling rather Goreylike today and work is quiet, here are a few interesting places to visit. The Gashlycrumb Tinies - spelling has never been quiet the same for me ever since. Interested in what Gorey might sound like? Max Nagl may have an idea.... His studio anyone? "Life is intrinsically, well, boring and dangerous at the same time. At any given moment the floor may open up. Of course, it almost never does; that's what makes it so boring." "I realize that homosexuality is a serious problem for anyone who is - but then, of course, heterosexuality is a serious problem for anyone who is, too. And being a man is a serious problem and being a woman is, too. Lots of things are problems." Oh, and I came across this too. Oooh, easy does it on the metal food group
You will swallow some tacks. You are a little
weird, maybe not so much in a good way. Buy a
yellow tie and wear it on your head.

What horrible Edward Gorey Death will you die?
brought to you by Quizilla


15 Responses to “"I just kind of conjured them up out of my subconscious and put them in order of ascending peculiarity."”

  1. Blogger Carl V. 

    Edward Gorey is one of my absolute favorites. When I was a kid I read a few ghost story/haunted house books that had these wonderful illustrations. Years later I "discovered" Gorey and realized that he was the artist of those books that I had such fond memories of. His sense of humor, of the macabre, and his wonderful artistic style are terrific. I'm planning on using every day in October to post on a different scary/dark/Halloween type thing and the art of Edward Gorey is one that I have planned. He is great!

    A few years back a wonderful little roughly comic book sized biography came out about him and I noticed last year that someone finally put out a full fleged book about his life, studio, etc. called Elephant House.

    I still love the opening for Mystery on PBS just because of Gorey's art being animated.

    Here's a link to a short PBS interview with Gorey:

    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/mystery/gorey.html

    Here's a link to a 3 fun little murder mystery flash games with Gorey's art:

    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/mystery/game.html

    and here's a great link for buying Edward Gorey materials:

    www.goreydetails.net

  2. Blogger Luke 

    He dirrant like chilluns much did he?

  3. Blogger anne 

    F is for Fanny sucked dry by a leech
    You will be sucked dry by a leech. I'd stay away from swimming holes, and stick to good old cement. Even if it does hurt like hell when your toe scrapes the bottom.

    Is this where the author of Lenore found the inspiration then?

  4. Blogger Carl V. 

    I'm assuming you're referring to Lenore, the cute little dead girl comic?

    Could be!

    I read that an updated version of the War of the Worlds novel is coming out to coincide with the movie that has Gorey illustrations from a previous incarnation.

  5. Blogger Carl V. 

    Alas, I too was Fanny...and I so wanted to go swimming!

  6. Blogger ADAMANT 

    I'm am doomed to suffer a death by drinking too much Gin. Sounds ok.

  7. Anonymous Fence 

    I;m Quentin, I sank in a mire

    Never heard of this gorey fella before, but his stuff looks cool.

  8. Blogger mysfit 

    Gorey is one of my favorites as well - and i too, will be sucked dry by a leech, alas

  9. Blogger jenn see 

    i'm with anne & mysfit. what's up with these killer leeches?

  10. Blogger Beelzebabe 

    I'm a Susan & will perish with fits. Being epileptic, I find this slightly disturbing.

  11. Blogger nica 

    G is for George, who got smothered by a rug.
    how charming. i hope it's not too dusty under there, with my rabid hayfever and all.

  12. Blogger LiVEwiRe 

    I adore the Gashlycrumb Tinies! Used to have a little tin 'purse' with some letters on it... I miss it. When I introduce the GTs to folks, I get really disturbed glances when I snicker at them. The letters, not the people I'm showing them to. Eh, oh well. I too am being sucked dry by leeches. Think if we all get together we can beat the little buggers?

  13. Anonymous Alan 

    There does appear to be an epidemic of leeches, because I too am destined to be sucked dry by one.

    The first time I read the Gashlycrumb Tinies I laughed like a drain. (How does one laugh like a drain anyway?) Gorey was undoubtedly either a genius or the sickest individual who ever lived (and most likely both!)

  14. Blogger banzai cat 

    Nup, no leeches here!

    Instead, I'm Z is for Zillah, who drank too much gin.

    You will drink too much gin. Not the worst way to die, but you won't remember too much of your life. Hey, at least you made some people laugh!

  15. Blogger Nome 

    Yeah, I have the entire poem memorized. I frequently recite it out loud. Good to see there are other people who are just as nutty as I am.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm forgottenmachine
  • From Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Blogs


ATOM 0.3


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs2.5 License.