Shiver me timbers...


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Avast, ye Scurvy Scum, Arrr!!!!........I have indeed taken on the image of a pirate gleefully hoarding the contents of Davey Jones' Locker, as horrible an image as that may be. A rather grand birthday week culminated on Friday with the long overdue arrival of my Amazon package. So if you will allow a quiet gloat or two, my loot consists of a good few musical banquets, Haruki Murakami's Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, Jeff VanderMeer's City of Saints and Madmen and Jon Courtenay Grimwood's Stamping Butterflies. For those curious as to the details of said musical banquets, I submit the following for your disentanglement:

Once you're lost in twilights's blue You don't find your way, the way finds you
It takes the weight out of living
And my soul's just a silhouette On the ashes of a cigarette
It's a little too much to ask of faith A little too late to wait for fate So tell the angels what you've seen Scarecrow shadow on the Nazarene
This is the army of none, got no flag, got no home
This is the pocket-sized edition Rapid sleep through benediction
We're just blind pilots In strange planes Back seat drivers In dead cars
No there’s no light In the darkest of your furthest reaches In other news, Lucretia has done some work on the various segments of the collective story crossing 'leitmotiv', which now stands as a short story or, more hopefully, the seed to another branch. Time will tell....... Ten Miles will most likely be a place for quiet reflection over the next few days, as yours truly embarks on a journey to the darkest depths of sadomasochism, otherwise known as 'study leave'. Exams start on Friday, so pray that I come to my senses and depart the country well before then. Thanks again to all who so unexpectedly left birthday wishes, if I don't turn up in some wild corner of Borneo, I shall return soon!
"The most important scientific revolutions all include, as their only common feature, the dethronement of human arrogance from one pedestal after another of previous convictions about our centrality in the cosmos."
- Stephen Jay Gould


13 Responses to “Shiver me timbers...”

  1. Blogger Carl V. 

    A late Happy Birthday and best wishes on upcoming exams!

  2. Blogger ADAMANT 

    Good Luck - don't over-do the coffee!!!

  3. Blogger anne 

    I'm not often rude (err...) but this has to be said: merde on your exams (for it to be good luck, you CANNOT thank me).

  4. Blogger mysfit 

    YAY! Birthday boy! Looks like you pulled in a good score. i know i'm late in wishing you a happy b-day as you seem to have had one - so i will wish you a happy year instead!

  5. Blogger jenn see 

    oh boy...don't start Hard Boiled Wonderland & expect to get studying done...

  6. Blogger OldHorsetailSnake 

    We know you will be back, for we have learned to rely upon your wisdom and other shit.

  7. Blogger Nome 

    Good luck with exams. Email me when you're procrastinating!

    I remember it's my turn, actually.

  8. Blogger Luke 

    Good luck with the study stuff .. what with all the distractions and all.
    Sigh. Beck ... Sigh ... Beck ... Sigh ... practices Jedi Mind Trick on Amazon

  9. Blogger Sunshine Coyote 

    Borneo sounds sweet right about now....

  10. Blogger Sunshine Coyote 

    and happy Bday, honey!

  11. Blogger Suzanna Danna 

    Happy Birthday to you!!!! And thank you for the sweet birthday wishes on my site.

    Good luck on your studies as well.

    Oh and here's a studies/pirate joke for you...

    What is a pirate's favorite subject in school?
    AAAArrrrithmatic!

  12. Blogger mysfit 

    for some reason i am reminded of the pirate substitute elementary teacher who occasionally wanders around my head -

    indeed, lots of luck on exams

  13. Blogger mysfit 

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm forgottenmachine
  • From Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Blogs


ATOM 0.3


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs2.5 License.